Monday, April 16, 2012

Bucket List

We had to put our dog, Carlos, down this past weekend.  Granted he was old and sick, but the void he left is taking some real adjusting.  We got Carlos from a breeder in Sebastopol in January, 1999.  As are all Jack Russells, he was an adorable puppy, and like all Jack Russells had an understanding of how his world should be organized.  He was named for Carlos the Jackal.  My fondest memory of him as a puppy is being tucked in the crook of Steve's arm, under loads of jacket and sweaters, driving a massive tractor around in the freezing cold.  He was meant to be my dog,  but from the start he chose Steve and there was never a closer bond of boy and dog.  He was a fearsome ground squirrel killer and managed to dispatch as many as ten a day on a good day.  He like to shared his um meals with Steve when he could.  He also deposited a squirrel in daughter Alison's car which then was parked for two weeks in the sun.  It was a rather pungent surprise for her when she came home.  Little tyke.  He was very territorial and all who were not approved were the enemy.  Most folks were not approved.  Katie, I hope you are paying attention.  He was partial to the back turned then assault.  But a few were treated to full on aggression.  If you showed fear he was on the offensive in a trice.  If you saw straight through him, all but a few did, he was the sweetest little serial killer you've ever known.  He had a mentor in Barnaby the fox hound.  Barnaby was also fearless and a great protector of hearth and home and any other place he happened to be.  He was also the great varmint hunter, in particular the hunter of the wily coyote!  He would hunt with little Carlos and when he came upon a pack of the coyote trespassers he would come at a full gallop to them and literally bowl the pack over.  Then Carlos would bark and snap till the interlopers were sent on their way.  You could see him literally dusting his paws off when the enemy was sent packing.  In the past three years he's been pretty ill and eventually lost his eyesight completely due to complications of diabetes.  But he stoically managed until suddenly the other night it all became too much for him and he let us know the time had come.  Rest in Peace Carlos.  10/25/1998 - 4/14/2012.  You were a fine little dog.

It has been a pretty rough few days in my life with Carlos and Amy Tryon both passing suddenly.  I have been left with a pretty big empty spot in my heart/soul whatever that threatens to become tears in unsuspected moments.  But naturally it seems prudent to make a bucket list cause stuff happens and you/I should have filled as many moments as you/I have left with stuff to do.

  • Go to the Kentucky Derby.  And if possible the Preakness and Belmont as well.
  • Visit Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island.
  • Go to Badminton and Burghley and Gatcombe again.
  • Go to Rolex again
  • Visit the south of France
  • Touch a snake, (for Gods sake why?)
  • Have another horse to compete
  • Go to Bermuda, Aruba and Puerto Rico.  And if possible to do that from a good sized sail boat with a load of friends.
  • Insist that my funeral arrangements be a nice long boat trip out on the ocean and a burial at sea.  That is a real and honest wish.  You may have KD Lang along to sing "Hallelujah".  I'm sure she's not busy.  I would also like it very much if everyone who goes out for the final voyage misbehaves and shows unimaginable immaturity.  Thanks in advance
  • Wear a size 6 again.
  • Most of all I want to keep all my family near.  And all my friends, both of you, in my life.  And btw I have some openings for new friends as well.  
That should be a good start.  Carpe Diem


Cheers,
Squidgy


6 comments:

  1. Who is the other one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bucket list but the burial at sea sounds expensive. Maybe a old fishing boat will suffice. Who would throw the stiff lifeless body from the boat? Anita Crain? Do you need a casket, as well? If so, is that littering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever you are, and I think I know, you're not funny. No expense will be spared i assure you.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy your stories about our brother, Carlos. He was such a spirited old boy.
    Love the memories of dead squirrel in Ali's car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have provided you children with nothing if not memorable memories. I believe it was you who said you didn't want to be anything like me. Nice.

      Delete
  4. Dear Squidgy,
    I have always admired your sense of humor. I was in tears today reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete